Over the past year we’ve seen some great releases from Forge World that have helped expand the Horus Heresy. For me one of the better releases was the Mechanicum Taghmata Army List. This book updates, consolidates, and expands the Mechanicum into an even more appealing army to both collect and play. One of the ways they’ve diversified the Mechanicum has been through the incorporation of new Detachments. These Detachments function similarly to a Rite of War imposing both restrictions and bonuses. More importantly, these Detachments provide fresh ways for us to enjoy the Mechanicum. One of the new Detachments is the War Covenants of the Ordo Reductor.
The War Covenants of the Ordo Reductor
There are 4 components to this new Detachment and a new optional Force Organization Chart:
- The Master of the Covenant
- Walkers in Ruin
- Engines of Destruction
- Patterns of Force
- The Matrix Ruin Army Force Organization Chart
I. The Master of the Covenant
The compulsory HQ choice for the Detachment must be chosen from:
- Magos Reductor
- WS4 BS4 S4 T4 W2 I4 A2 LD9 SV3+
- Archmagos Reductor
- WS5 BS5 S5 T5 W3 I4 A2 LD10 SV2+
- Calleb Decima
Both the Magos Reductor and Archmagos Reductor have the following Wargear and Special Rules:
- Power Axe – S+1 AP2 Melee, Unwieldy
- Lucifex – R6″ S2 AP5 Pistol, Fleshbane, Rad-phage
- Mechanicum Protectiva – 4+ Invulnerable save
- Independent Character
- Master of Destruction
- All attacks count as having Sunder
- Rolls on the Vehicle and Building Damage table add +1 which is cumulative with any bonus such as AP value
- Instead of firing in the Shooting phase, may confer the Master of Destruction special rule benefits on a single Heavy or Ordnance weapon fired within 6″
- May be accompanied by a single unit of either Scyllax Guardian-automata or a Tech Priest Auxillia unit (must have the Reductor Techno Arcana upgrade)
- Relentless (Archmagos Reductor only)
All three options for the HQ slot are excellent. I won’t go into Calleb Decima since he deserves a dedicated post of his own. Both the Magos and the Archmagos Reductor have excellent upgrades to choose from. Specifically, you can add Rad Grenades, Cyber-familiar, Paragon Blade, Machinator Array, Abeyant and Djinn-skein.
- Rad Grenades – A unit with Rad Grenades that assaults or is assaulted by an enemy unit causes that unit to decrease their Toughness by 1 until the end of the Assault phase. Does not effect Instant Death threshold.
- Cyber-familar – +1 Invulnerable save and re-roll non-Leadership Characteristic and failed Dangerous Terrain tests
- Paragon Blade (Archmagos only) – S+1 AP2 Melee, Murderous Strike, Specialist Waepon
- Murderous Strike – 6’s to Wound have the Instant Death special rule
- Machinator Array
- +1 Toughness, Night Vision, adds Flamer and Inferno Pistol which both can be fired or in combination with another weapon
- Adds +2 to their Battlesmith special rule Repair roll
- May make 2 additional attacks per close combat turn with the following profile S +1 AP2 Melee, Unwieldy, Shred, Armourbane
- Gains +1 Wound, Move Through Cover, Very Bulky, Hardened Armour, and It Will Not Die
- Djinn-skein (Archmagos only)
- At the beginning of the Shooting Phase select a unit within 6″ of them or purchased Cyber-occularis and add +1 BS
- Deep Striking units arriving within 6″ do not scatter
- Barrage Weapons can use the Archmagos Prime and any purchased Cyber-ocularis to draw line of sight from for their attacks
For the cost of a Legion Rhino you can upgrade the Magos Reductor to an Archmagos Reductor. Equipped with the above Wargear you create an HQ that is WS5 BS5 S6 T6 W4 I4 A4 LD10 SV2+/3++ and has the It WIll Not Die special rule. The Archmagos has 4 attacks with the Sunder special rule that can also add +1 to any Vehicle or Building Damage table. Additionally, the Archmagos has the ability to confer a +1 Ballistic Skill to a nearby unit (i.e. Krios Venators) as well as its Master of Destruction special rule, albeit to only a single Ordnance or Heavy weapon on a vehicle. This can all be achieved for the cost of a Legion Land Raider Phobos or slightly over if the Rad Grenades are included.
II. Walkers in Ruin
- Any unit in an Ordo Reductor War Covenant force is immune to the effects of Pinning.
- May ignore the penalties and risks for Moving or Charging through Difficult or Dangerous Terrain in areas of rubble, ruins, minefields, and trench works
This is fantastic especially for vehicles not having to worry about immobilizing in Terrain.
III. Engines of Destruction
Have access to the following units:
- Magos Reductor
- Ordo Reductor Artillery Tank Battery
- Demolisher Cannon
- Quad Lascannons
- Dual Melta Cannon
- Earthshaker Cannon
- Medusa Cannon
- Mars-Colossus Bombard
- Ordo Reductor Minotaur Battery
- Dual Earthshaker – R24-240″ S9 AP3 Ordnance 1, Massive Blast (7′), Barrage, Twin-linked
The Artillery are a great addition to the Mechanicum. Not only do the Mechanicum have access to heavy duty blast weapons but they also have the ability to enhance their durability with Siege Plating. The Siege Plating increases the front armor of Artillery Tank Batteries to 13. To top it off, with the Medusa with Siege Plating is 10 points cheaper than the Legion version. Better yet, the Ordo Reductor have access to Minotaur Battery squadrons that can contain up to three. The Minotaur Battery has F13 S12 R13 HP5 and has the Blessed Autosimularca with rear facing Flare Shields (direction of cannon). The Dual Earthshaker range allows you to park these off to the side and use the Djinn-skein special rule to target units. They only cost a Legion Centurion more than a Legion Medusa and are far more durable with quite a punch. Both of these artillery options are wins for the Ordo Reductor.
IV. Patterns of Force
- Compulsory Troop choices must be comprised of Thallax Cohorts
- May not contain a greater number of Battle-automata and Siege-automata units than half the total number of units
Thallax are a good Troop choice given they are quite mobile. They are Jet-pack Infantry and thus can Deep Strike as well as move 2D6 with their Jet-pack moves during the Assault phase. They are resilient in that they have three Wounds, Toughness 5, and the Stubborn special rule. They are not overwhelming in their fire power but can be upgraded to have Tank Hunters which in combination with their Lightning Guns and Melta Bombs can be quite useful. They also don’t have a Cybernetica Cortex which frees them from having to be within range of a Cortex Controller. All in all they are a hearty Troop choice.
V. The Matrix Ruin Army Organization Chart
- Primary Detachment
- Compulsory: 1HQ, 2 Troops, 2 Heavy Support
- Optional: 1HQ, +3 Troops, +2 Elites, +2 Fast Attack, +2 Heavy Support
- Lord of War: 2 choices
- All units must be chosen from the provisions and restrictions of the Ordo Reductor War Covenant rules and must be from the same faction
- Allied Detachment and Fortifications may not be chosen
- The Unfettered Wrath of the Machine
- In Age of Darkness games all units in the Detachment with the Tank type count as Scoring units in the enemy Deployment zone
- In Maelstrom of War games, all units in the Detachment with the Tank type gain the Objective secured special rules when in the enemy Deployment zone
This formation is a nice boost to the Ordo Reductor Army. Especially armies utilizing Triaros Armoured Conveyers as dedicated transports. These vehicles are resilient and typically carry Myrmidon Secutors as well as Myrmidon Destructors across the table into the enemy’s deployment zone. There ability to now be scoring while there is a nice perk. The other feature this Detachment offers is the ability to have four Heavy Support and two Lords of War units. This provides room for added artillery given these slots are often filled with Krios Tanks and Myrmidon Destructors. Additionally, the two Lords of War slots allow for multiple or a combination of Super-Heavy Walkers and Super-Heavy Tanks. Overall, this Detachment is a win for the Ordo Reductor players.
The War Covenants of the Ordo Reductor is another great way to play Mechanicum especially if you are a fan of their vehicles. As always let me know your thoughts.
Share this Post