WS4 BS4 S10 F13 S12 R12 I4 A4 HP6
- Acheron Pattern Flame Cannon – R Hellstorm S7 AP3 Ordnance 1
- Reaper Chainfist with an inbuilt Twin-linked Heavy Bolter – S D AP2 Melee, Machine Destroyer
- Machine Destroyer – When attacking any target with an armor value, rolls of 1 on the Destroyer Damage table may be re-rolled
- Ion Shield – At the start of the opposing side’s Shooting phase declare which facing the Ion Shield is covering. The Knight has a 4+ Invulnerable save against all hits on the facing until the start of the opposing side’s next Shooting phase.
- Flank Speed – When the Knight makes a Run move instead of Shooting it may move 3D6
- Super-heavy Walker – Fear, Hammer of Wrath, Invincible Behemoth, Move Through Cover, Relentless, Smash and Strikedown
The Cerastus Knight – Acheron is a great addition to an Ordo Reductor or Legio Cybernetica Detachment. One of the Acheron’s biggest advantages is its speed. The Knight can move 12″ and Run 3D6; therefore, just about placing it in an opponent’s Deployment zone within a single turn. This maneuverability can be used to flank armies and threaten their backfield units. As the Knight moves up the flank it can continue to face its front arc in the direction of long ranged firepower and thus use its Ion Shield to provide a 4+ Invulnerable save against front arc shooting accept for Barrage weapons. Its Hellstorm cannon is a potent weapon when used against power armor and light armor vehicles. Using the Knight to place pressure on your opponent and forcing them to make difficult decisions is where the Knight shines. The Knight also has the potential to be devastating in close combat. However, you have to be selective as to which units you assault. Since most armies have at least one or two units filled with powerfists, melta bombs and/or chainfists, those units are better dealt with using ranged fire power rather than the Knight.
Utilizing the Ordo Reductor’s Matrix Ruin Army Force Organization Detachment, you have the option to field two Lords of War. Using two Knights to flank either side of an army can provide the Mechanicum with a great deal of added maneuverability. Although point wise they are expensive, in 2500-3000 point games there is enough left over points to take a fair amount of support and troop units. However, the maximum benefit appears to be in just taking one Knight. Something to keep in mind is that the Acheron is susceptible to Barrage weapons (i.e. Medusas) as well as Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyers and Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyers. The ladder weapons make the target Snap Fire and thus neuter the Knight’s Hellstorm Cannon. Through the various games I’ve played, I’ve found the Knights to be hit or miss on making their points back. Nonetheless, they are extremely fun to use.
As always let me know your thoughts.
Share this Post