Welcome to the ninth installment of Gladiatorial Games where Characters and units will face off aganst each other in arena combat. There are several basic rules I’ve decided to incorporate:
- Best of three Rounds wins the Match
- If a Character/Unit has a win and a tie in the first two Rounds he will win the Match and no third Round is required
- Characters/Units will roll off to determine who goes first. The Character going first will subsequently go second in the following Round
- If a third Round is required, Characters/Units will roll off to determine who goes first
- Characters/Units will start 18″ apart
- Characters/Units must move toward each other in the Movement Phase
- Warlord Traits that benefit the Character may be used
- No Orbital Bombardment or similar abstract shooting attacks will be allowed
- Psychic powers are acceptable; however, no Summoning
- Invisibility does not prohibit Stomps
- Once locked in combat, there are no Leadership tests for loosing combat. You can’t get away.
- Hit & Run is the only way to break close combat (Only 2D6 not 3D6)
- A Round may end in a tie if both combatents loose their last wound at the same initiative step
- Key wargear and related special rules relavent only to the fight will be listed
Here are the Gladiators:
The Primarch Angron – Master of the World Eaters
WS9 BS5 S7 T6 W5 I7 A6 LD10 SV3+/4++
- Armour of Mars
- 3+ armor and 4+ Invulnerable save
- Gorefather & Gorechild
- S+1 AP2 Melee, Armourbane, Muderous Strike
- The Spite Furnace
- Master-crafted Plasma Pistol
- The Butcher’s Nails
- For every Independent Character wiped out by Angron in close combat he gains a +1 to his Attack Characteristic for the remainder of the game
- Primarch (Eternal Warrior, Fear, Admantium Will, Fleet, Fearless, It Will Not Die)
- Red Sands
- In any given turn Angron may call and fight as many Challenges as there are enemy Independent Characters and units in close combat with him, up to his current number of attacks.
- Angron must divide his attacks between them and must devote at least one attack to each Challenge he fights in.
- Sire of the World Eaters
- Furious Charge and 6+ Feel No Pain
- Hatred (Everything)
Roboute Guilliman – Primarch of the Ultramarines Legion
WS7 BS6 S6 T6 W6 I6 A4 LD10 SV2+/4++
- The Armour of Reason
- 2+ armor, 4+ Invulnerable save
- The first failed Invulnerable save can be re-rolled
- The Gladius Incandor
- S+1 AP2 melee, Shred, Murderous Strike, Specialist Weapon
- Murderous Strike – to wound rolls of 6 has Instant Death
- The Hand of Dominion – S10 AP1 Melee, Concussion, Unwieldy, Specialist Weapon
- The Arbitrator – R18″ S6 AP3 Assault 2, Rending
- Primarch (Eternal Warrior, Fear, Admantium Will, Fleet, Fearless, It Will Not Die)
- Sire of the Ultramarines
- Ignores the effects of the Concussion special rule
- Preternatural Strategy
- Gains +1 WS on each subsequent round of continuous combat after the first
This is a match long in the making. The Lord of the Red Sands is masterful in his domain. Angron’s gladiatorial skills are exemplified by his superior Weapon Skill, Initiative, and base Strength. His six base attacks are fueled by Hatred (everything) and look to strike down his opponents before they can respond. Angron will be looking to finish off Roboute early before his Preternatural Strategy allows him to match Angron’s Weapon Skill. From the very start, Angron will have the advantage but the longer Guilliman endures the better he’ll become.
Guilliman needs to endure two rounds of close combat before his Weapon Skill matches that of Angron. To accomplish this he’ll be relying on his single Invulnerable save re-roll and some close combat strategy. Guilliman will be alternating his close combat weapons and will be starting each close combat round with the Hand of Dominion. Hopefully, a wound will get through and Angron will be concussed. This would allow Guilliman to switch to the Gladius Incandor and strike for a second consecutive time at Initiative 6. Emperor willing, these two consecutive series of attacks will be enough to knock Angron down and win Guilliman the match.
Lets get to this match between the Undefeated and Ruler of Hosts.
Roboute moves forward 6″ and shoots the Arbitrator. He hits twice and causes one Wound. Angron shrugs off the Wound by making his 4+ Invulnerable save. Roboute declares the long charge and Angron Overwatches with Spite Fire. Angron is quick to draw and hits his mark causing a Wound. Roboute fails his 4+ Invulnerable save but thanks to his re-roll makes it with a 6. Roboute then fails the long Charge with a 9 and re-roll due to Fleet of an 8.
Angron moves forward 6″, shoots the Spite Furnace, and causes a Wound. Roboute rolls a 2 followed by a 1 and takes the first Wound of the game. Angron declares the Charge and Roboute Overwatches with the Arbitrator. Guilliman hits once and causes a Wound. Angron fails his 4+ Invulnerable save and his 6+ Feel No Pain. Angron is down a Wound. Angron enraged from the Wound makes the Charge with a 9.
Angron will strike first with his seven S9 attacks re-rolling To Hit due to Hatred. Angron hits 5 times, re-rolls his two misses, and converts one more. Angron then proceeds to cause 4 wounds. Guilliman is only able to save one even with his single re-roll. Guilliman is down to two wounds. Guilliman attacks back with his 5 attacks using the Hand of Dominion. He hits three times and causes three Wounds. Angron rolls his 4+ Invulnerable save and makes two. He then proceeds to make his 6+ Feel No Pain! Angron takes no Wounds. Angron fails to recover a wound with his It Will Not Die.
Roboute gains a +1 to his Weapon Skill and is now WS8. Angron goes first again but no longer has Hatred. Angron swings with his 6 attacks, hits twice, and converts both into Wounds. Roboute fails the first 4+ Invulnerable save and the re-roll! He’s down to a single Wound with a 4+ Invulnerable save left to make. Roboute makes the save with a roll of a 5. Roboute strikes back with his 5 attacks using the Hand of Dominion. He hits 4 times and causes 4 Wounds. Angron fails three saves and is only able to make a single 6+ Feel No Pain. Angron takes 2 Wounds and is concussed. Guilliman fails to add a Wound back with his It Will Not Die roll. This was a big round for Guilliman. He needed to concuss Angron in order to strike first with the Gladius Incandor.
Roboute gains another +1 to his Weapon Skill making him WS9. Angron is now concussed and will be hitting on 4’s instead of 3’s. Roboute changes his close combat weapon and draws the Gladius Incandor (S+1 AP2 melee, Shred). He swings with his 5 attacks but only hits once. He then precedes to roll a 1, re-rolls due to Shred and gets a 2. Guilliman causes no Wounds! Angron grins and prepares to deliver the final blow.
Angron swings back with his 6 attacks but only connecting on three of them. However, he only converts one into a Wound. Guilliman makes the 4+ Invulnerable save and is around for another round of close combat. Angron rolls his It Will Not Die and gains a Wound back.
Roboute is now WS10 but will be striking second. Angron rolls To Hit, scores 2 hits, and converts both into Wounds. Roboute makes the first 4+ Invulnerable save but fails the second. He re-rolls and makes the save! Roboute attacks back with the Hand of Dominion and hits 5 times. He converts all five into five Wounds. Angron then precedes to fail four 4+ Invulnerable saves followed by four 6+ Feel No Pain rolls. Guilliman’s perseverance pays off and he wins the first round!
Angron goes first this Round and moves forward 6″. He shoots, hits but fails to Wound. He declares a Charge and Roboute Overwatches scoring a hit and Wound. Angron fails the 4+ Invulnerable save as well as the 6+ Feel No Pain. He then rolls his Charge distance and gets an 11. Angron re-rolls the 5 and gets a 2, thus failing the Charge. He then rolls his It Will Not Die and gets the Wound back!
Roboute moves forward 6″, shoots, hits twice, and causes one Wound. Angron fails his 4+ Invulnerable save and 6+ Feel No Pain. We aren’t even in close combat and Angron is already down to three Wounds. Roboute declares the Charge and Angron fails to hit with his Overwatch. Roboute makes the Charge with a roll of an eight. Angron attacks first with his 6 attacks. He hits six times after his re-rolls and causes six Wounds. Roboute fails three 4+ Invulnerable saves including his re-roll. Just like that Roboute is reduced to half his Wounds.
Roboute strikes back with his 6 attacks using the Hand of Dominion. He hits four times and causes four Wounds. Angron fails two Invulnerable saves and both 6+ Feel No Pain rolls. Angron is down to 2 Wounds and is concussed for the next round of combat. Roboute fails his It Will Not Die roll.
Roboute gains +1 to his Weapon Skill and is WS8. Roboute draws his Gladius Incandor and will strike first. He hits 3 times and with re-rolls for Shred causes three Wounds. Angron fails a single 4+ Invulnerable save and the subsequent 6+ Feel No Pain. Angron attacks back and hits 5 times but only to cause 2 Wounds. Roboute makes both after re-rolling his single failed 4+ Invulnerable save. Angron rolls his It Will Not Die and gains a Wound back.
Roboute again increases his Weapon Skill by one and is WS9. Angron will go first but only hits twice since he now needs fours To Hit. He converts both into Wounds; however, Roboute makes both 4+ Invulnerable saves! Guilliman uses the Hand of Dominion, hits three times, and causes three Wounds. Angron fails one Invulnerable save and the following 6+ Feel No Pain. Angron is down to a single Wound and will be concussed for the following round of combat. Roboute rolls his It Will Not Die and gains a Wound back.
Guilliman’s Weapon Skill is now 10 and he’ll be striking first with the Gladius Incandor. He swings and connects four times. Thanks to the Shred special rule, Roboute is able to convert three into Wounds. Angron fails two Invulnerable saves as well as two 6+ Feel No Pains. Roboute Guilliman wins!
There is no doubt that Angron is a beast in close combat. However, credit is due to Roboute Guilliman and his Preternatural Strategy special rule. Being able to withstand several rounds of close combat with Angron and force Angron to hit on 4’s helped to level the playing field. In addition, Roboute’s alternating weapon tactic allowed for two consecutive series of attacks thus sealing Angron’s fate. As always let me know your thoughts and I hope you enjoyed this match.
Share this Post